January 29, 2019 2 min read
Famed for the first British ascent of Norway’s Troll Wall and designing the modern sit harness, Tony Howard has dedicated his life to travelling around the globe in search of unclimbed rock and remote trekking adventures. His new book, Quest into the Unknown, is a catalogue of his travels from North Africa, the Middle East, Scandinavia, South East Asia, Antarctica and beyond.
If you’re thinking about packing your bags and heading off on your next adventure, here are Tony’s essential top ten travel tips:
1. Before going, research your trip well.
2. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
3. Don't let the opinions of others put you off, you never know until you go.
3. If you are travelling/climbing/adventuring with others go with people you know well.
4. Inform friends at home where you will be going and if it's remote, give the latest date when you expect to be be back in touch. Even today contact may not always be easy.
5. Travel as light as you dare.
6. Try to get to know the local people, enjoy social interchange.
7. Eat what the locals eat, it's usually good and not expensive as well as being part of the travel experience.
8. Have photos (or images) from home with you. People you meet will enjoy seeing them.
9. Remember Robbie Burns, ‘The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley’.
10. As Don Whillans said, ‘Always leave something to come back to’.
And one for good luck which has often been useful:
11. Back in 1953, Roy Brown who was fresh out of National Service in the Tank Corps and the first climber I ever met, was fond of saying, 'When in doubt, brew up'.
Vertebrate Publishing will use the information you provide on this form to keep in touch with you and to provide updates on new books and special offers. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.
We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.
Sign up to be the first to find out about new books, pre-order and special edition offers, author events, freebies, and to receive 25% off your orders.